Wednesday, September 17, 2008

DHEA miracle or hype??

I'm not sure how much I've mentioned about DHEA. I started taking it just over a month ago (August 11th to be exact). The research I've found on it says it takes about 4 months for it to really be effective due to egg production (development starts 3 months prior to ovulation). I also started taking fish oil for my Omega-3, since I don't eat much in that department.

I have not mentioned taking DHEA to my doc since I haven't seen her since our first round of clomid. DHEA is an over-the-counter supplement, but may ask her about getting a prescription, depending on her views of it. I plan on making an appt or calling IF (positive thinking) my next cycle begins. I have a few thoughts/questions I would like to go over before for my third/last round of Clomid.

I'm taking 25mg three time a day (75mg total). Some of the research and studies I've read states anywhere from 25mg to 150mg daily. I decided on 75 since it was a happy medium and it was listed as protcol for one study I found.

Side effects: One that really stands out is mild headaches but that is normal since it supposedly increases estrogen=headaches. I figured that out on Clomid too!! The other thing I've noticed is *TMI to follow* increased cervical mucus. Not a bad thing at all!! I'm not as HUNGRY lately either . . . BONUS!

Here are a couple of the websites I've found:

www.centerforhumanreprod.com/premature_ovaries.html


www.ingentaconnect.com/content/oup/humrep/2000/00000015/00000010/art02129

Feel free to send me any comments or thoughts you have.

1 comment:

infertile said...

Did you take the DHEA every day or just certain days of the month?